Gun Review, Taurus G2C@.40 Cal. and... Idiots at the Range

 I have been looking for a concealable gun with more oomph than a 9mm. I have a beautiful little Kimber Micro 9mm with a built-in laser but it only carries 7 rounds.

It is a fine shooting gun, but it has three problems. With the laser that little gun is now running near 1000 bucks off the shelf. The other problem I have with the Micro 9 is that it is built just like a .45 caliber 1911. It is single action sans the back strap safety. So in a tense situation it will do as long as you remember to cock the hammer. I simply can't carry it cocked although it has an external safety. I am not a fan of the 9mm round in general. In a pinch, I want a gun that will fire just as quickly as I pull the trigger.

I set out to solve three problems. Find a concealable gun in the more powerful, .40 caliber. Increase the number of rounds. Do all those things inexpensively. That is how I landed on the Taurus G2C. I read a lot of reviews and I watched a couple of You Tube videos. Everyone seemed to like it. No jamming and a lifetime warranty. They also have a newer G3C but I stuck with the G2 because it looked smaller. I found it at Cabela's for 249.00. I also had 80 bucks' worth of points on my Cabela's card so buying this gun with tax was only about 180 bucks.

It comes with two mags which hold ten rounds each. It has an external safety, a chambered round indicator, and it comes apart very easily for cleaning. I picked it up a few days ago and took it to the range today.

The range was vacant when I arrived. Nobody was there, which is good because it's a bit on the small side. Since I was the only one there, I set my target up mid-range rather than the firing line. I am not going to be shooting a handgun from 50 yards away.

Just as I set up my target, the angry guy shows up. Now I've been shooting at ranges, many much nicer than this one, all of my life. Maybe 200 range days in all. This guy shows up and tells me to move my truck. No hello, no kiss my ass, no "how long ya got?" I told him I'd move the truck when I was through which was only going to be a couple of magazines worth of shooting, maybe 5 minutes if that. Then he tells me I am past the firing line and tells me to move my truck again. I said I know, this ain't my first time on a range. I am not moving shit until I am done. This pisses the rangemaster off and he started swearing at me because I would not comply with his demands. 

So you know this wasn't going to turn out well. I cycled a couple of mags through and left. 

The world it seems is full of assholes like this. I have gone to ranges and patiently waited for people to finish. I don't really want to shoot with strangers near me anyway. If this guy would have just STFU to begin with, I would have been done before he could even set up.

Yea I got his license plate number. 

I went to another location without any assholes. My wife shot the gun and we cycled about 50 rounds through it. Wadcutters, copper jacketed rounds, and hollow points. It performed well. I took it home and cleaned it with four other handguns. It was easy to disassemble and clean.

I am going to buy a viridian laser for it which is another 60 bucks. 

All in all, I've never been a Taurus fan. But this gun checks all the boxes for me. For 250 bucks it's hard to beat and it was pretty accurate. I'd recommend it. 









Comments

Anonymous said…
To each his own, .40 is a good round if that floats yer boat....it just amuses me that some folks dis the 9, until they get a 124 gr. JHP in the solar plexus.....
Jimbo
Brian said…
I kind of like the idea of one caliber, one ammo. There weren't a lot of compact .45s, but the .40s shoot 165 grains and a little more stopping power than a 9mm.
Eric said…
I prefer the knockdown power of a .40

Nice find.

Think I'll pick one up for my wife
MMinWA said…
I've been happy with my Sig P239 in .40. as my carry. I've had it for 20(?) years. I'm used to it although compared to today's lighter, polymer frames and double stack magazines, it's definitely dated.

At the moment, there are more pressing concerns for my money. I've looked at 5 shot revolvers like the Ruger LCR but pricey as hell.

The only experience I have with a Taurus is a .25 caliber I've had for decades. Kinda of a fun gun to fire but even at 10 yards I can't hit shit with it. For plinking I have single action .22 that I love.

And assholes are everywhere Dude. You have to go out of your way to be one and some people are hell bent.
Brian said…
Always enjoy your comments MM.

I am kind of a gun nearby at all times guy. I don't know if you ever read the account by a gal who carried concealed (I think in Texas) and they passed a law making it illegal. Anyway, she was one of the people at that Luby's cafeteria who were all nearly slaughtered by that crazed gunman. She was upset, I think because her gun was in her car and she could not save her parents.

That is how I remember it. Point noted. Have a gun when you need it and screw government over reach as it applies to the 2nd.

We are returning to the wild west. Instead of Billy the Kid or Machine Gun Kelly, we have depressed psychotic kids shooting up schools.

I love Sigs, btw.

Brian
MMinWA said…
I too am a never more than a step or two away from a firearm in my home & shop. I found out WA has a Safe Storage Law. Some bullshit about you getting charged with up to a felony if a "prohibited" person gets & uses your weapon causing some blahblahblah.

Trigger locks, gun safes yaddayadda...excuse me for a few moments Mr Home Invader but would you be so kind as to hold off on the mayhem while I retrieve my safely locked up home defense firearm?

I have 4 pistols and 2 shotguns loaded with birdshot here and there.

I'll worry about the consequences after the more pressing problem is taken care of.

JohnM said…
I have a couple G2C's in 9mm and they've been flawless. They only thing I didn't like is their version of a trigger dingus, which seems unnecessary on a gun with an external safety. I replaced the trigger with these and couldn't be happier.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233048888526?hash=item3642cbd4ce:g:uI0AAOSwArFc9b9a
Brian said…
I pasted the link and looked at that trigger. I like it. Is it easy to install or a gunsmith sort of op?

Brian
JohnM said…
I just watched a youtube video and didn't have any trouble. As I recall you have to be careful not to lose a couple small parts but really not that difficult and I'm no gunsmith.

OK here's a video made by the seller of the trigger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3iMi9jypYw
Brian said…
I ordered one of the triggers with a shorter stroke. Dude, thanks for posting here...I learned a little more about this gun. Think I am going to get a second for my wife.

Brian
JohnM said…
Hope the G2Cs are working out and you got the trigger installed with no drama.

Popular posts from this blog

The "Keeping Time" Has Arrived- The Sunday Collage

The Killing of Craig Robertson- The Sunday Collage

The United States- The World's Biggest Banana Republic