The Renaissance of American Enlightenment- The Sunday Collage

Today, I want to talk a little bit about "civil disobedience" under the current regime.

I have been a law abiding citizen most of my life- with the possible exception of a few misdemeanors in my youth. From age 20 until age 52, all I have been guilty of is breaking a few unbelievably restrictive traffic laws. Like Oregon's ridiculously low speed limits on the most desolate highways in the west. So there's that. Guilty your honor. My penance has been fines and my forced participation in some of the finest insurance price gouging ever.

I spent my lifetime in small town America. I was a policeman first and then ultimately, a Police Chief. I believed in the mission of law enforcement and I also believed that without cops- the predators would most certainly have their way with the sheep.

Unfortunately, our government has become a predatory government. Instead of a government consisting of "We the people" we have an elitist government that has morphed into a government that  caters to the aristocracy or the wealthy 1% of America. This government takes every opportunity to steal middle class money and tells us it is for our collective benefit. It passes laws that are clearly in violation of the Constitution of the United States and then asks the Supreme Court to rubber stamp them. I suppose this is done to convince "We the people" that this government is behaving lawfully and responsibly. I call it the theater of the absurd. That is the same crap that King George III tried to pull on us. He wanted to control us and steal our money. He was willing to send troops to threaten and then kill us over the issue and so it was. We had us a war with some bloodshed.

It's always about money. The absolute root of all evil.

In America, our government has a long standing tradition of labeling immoral or criminal acts with palatable terms so that they can behave like criminals without public retribution or outcry. They do the exact opposite when some other entity engages in the same behavior. Sometimes Americans sign onto this madness as long as there is something in it for them. Like killing native Americans because it was "God's manifest destiny" for us. Sorry Indians, God doesn't like you. Citizens who worked hard and saved gold in 1933 were labeled "gold hoarders" about the time that FDR issued an executive order- no law was passed- authorizing the government to seize gold without a warrant to prevent "gold hoarding." If the government doesn't like the negative connotations of a term such as "kidnapping" they substitute that term for "relocation" as was the case of WWII era Japanese Americans. If the government and the elite don't like the term "counterfeiting" because that denotes precisely what it is- they use the term "quantitative easing" instead. They tell us that they are diluting our money supply for our own good. When the government gets caught violating the law, they label the whistleblower(s) a "traitor" rather than a hero as was the case of Edward Snowden. People are not murdered by drones- they are "victims" or "casualties" or "enemy combatants" or "collateral damage."

We allow the government to essentially violate any law it wants to- just so long as they can find some innocuous term for their immoral conduct that sits well with us.

Well, most of us.

Of all the flawed character traits that I possess, and there are many, my ability to see through all of this bullshit like a laser beam is probably my worst. It has cost me dearly. But I have never let the consequences of my actions get in the way of what I know is morally right.

In other words, I am weary of this government bully.

So what term did Americans employ when we wanted to quit paying taxes, commit treason, and eliminate King George III? Well, we called that the period of "American Enlightenment." Ah yes, American Enlightenment.

The American Enlightenment is a period of intellectual ferment in thirteen American colonies in the period 1715–1800, which culminated in the American Revolution, American Independence, and the creation of the American Republic under the Constitution of 1787. Influenced by the 18th-century European Enlightenment, the American Enlightenment applied scientific reasoning to politics, science and religion. The foremost representatives of the American Enlightenment include religious leaders Jonathan Edwards and Ezra Stiles, political thinkers John AdamsJames MadisonJames Wilson, and Alexander Hamilton, and polymaths Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson.

Let's shift gears here for just a minute. If our government is going to compel us to buy insurance and then allow the Supreme Court to call Obamacare a legally mandated tax- then by logical extension- all of my other compulsory insurance must also be a tax. My car insurance is a tax, my force placed mortgage insurance is a tax, my homeowners insurance is a tax. If the government requires my compliance and removes my choice to purchase these products then by law- it's not insurance, it's a tax. Right? I mean how am I supposed to distinguish the difference between insurance and a tax if the terms are interchangeable depending on how the Supreme Court feels on any given day?

The truth is, it's all bullshit dressed up to steal our money. King George tried the same tactics. Perhaps...

I might be able and willing to buy Obamacare just so long as the government allows me to write off all of the other compulsory insurance I am required by law to purchase. Or allows me the choice to quit purchasing it. I have never made one homeowners claim in 30 years. I have never defaulted on a mortgage payment. Yet I pay 1500.00 a year and in the case of mortgage insurance- I will never EVER receive a benefit despite the fact that I am required by law to pay 1100.00 a year for it.

My life and my health are far more important to me than insuring someone else's investment. Yet oddly,  the government doesn't give me a choice. I have to buy everything the tell me to buy. I no longer have a choice what I can buy. Apparently the government will decide what I spend my money on- irrespective of what is important to me. Government is indifferent to my needs just so long as I do what they tell me. Is it a wonder that people have quit working or work for cash instead?

This has become the national insanity. Government seizing our money and telling us how to spend it.

Ultimately, all of this compulsory stealing of our money boils down to one immutable truth. Sooner or later, law or no law, label or no label, it matters not- we are going to run out of money. You can pass all of the laws that you want, fill all of our courts and prisons but ultimately, you can't squeeze blood out of turnips. Each one of us will have to decide whether or not we can continue to comply with the law. It's not a matter of if- it's a matter of when.

I am on the short side of when.

If I were wealthy, I wouldn't be here writing this nor would I be bothered by a little margin pressure from Obamacare when I have gobs of disposable income. But I do not. I have already arrived at that point in time when I am going to have to make decisions about what I spend my money on and then suffer the consequences of my decisions. Make no mistake about it- there are at least 200 million Americans stuck between poor (free Obamacare) and wealthy (can easily afford Obamacare) and so the middle class once again, will feel the boot of government on their throats.

To survive financially, many of us opted out of health care. All Obamacare is- is a law that compels healthy people back into a system where the corporate kleptocracy and the unhealthy benefit. That's all this is. Nobody gives two shits about our individual well being.

I hate to sound like a victim. But I'm not sure I can wait for the renaissance of American Enlightenment. I am going to have to make some decisions or die a slow and lingering financial death. Our government is sure to try and find some method of forcing us all into Obamacare compliance. They will start first with the palatable labeling of non compliant people. (In fact, I have been hearing this from the liberals already) In the beginning, the non compliant will be taxed, penalized, assets lien ed upon or seized, or failing that- persons non compliant will be subjected to prison. It's kind of like quadruple jeopardy. The government's penalties for non compliance start easy at first, then ratchet up quickly. That is how they always operate. If you aren't a criminal now just wait a little bit longer.

I am not advocating civil disobedience for anyone but that's what many of us will face.

Picking on 200 million broke "irresponsible and tax dodging" Americans isn't exactly a prescription for success but that appears to be the course of action of this government. Warren Buffett once said that the elite waged a war on the middle class in our country and that the elite have won.

Winning? That's just a label too. I'm not sure what Warren means by that but I do know this. When they raid the house they get everyone. Including the wealthy. The most fearless people I have ever known- were the ones with nothing left to lose. I am one of those folks. It appears that our ranks are swelling.

















































Comments

Marcus said…
The only thing which continues to amaze me regarding the republic's collapse, and possible transition to an eventual dictatorship, is how long and drawn out it is (whether that drawn out process is a good thing or a bad thing is another debate).

Good post, Brian, and never turn off or ignore your bullshit detector (I doubt you could do it even if you wanted to). Sanity is not statistical and being well adjusted to the madness around you is no measure of good mental health. You may feel like a voice in the wilderness or a minority of one, but that doesn't mean your wrong or that some of us aren't listening, because we are.
Anonymous said…
If you had a time machine, Brian, which era of America would you choose to visit and why?
Brian said…
What an excellent question. I have two actually.

My first would be the era from 1865 to 1930. I absolutely love the history of that era. It was a fascinating time- history rich. Mining. The country was still undeveloped.

The other time would have been during the Revolution. I truly believe our founders were geniuses- far more intelligent than what passes for leadership today.

Thought provoking.
Finally I am able to reach your comment section.

An excellent post, Brian. I plan to use it this coming Saturday.
Anonymous said…
But at least your retired at a young age.
Brian said…
TG for that. Ya know when I started, being a cop paid nothing. Turned out to be more valuable than I thought.
Anonymous said…
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Popular posts from this blog

The "Keeping Time" Has Arrived- The Sunday Collage

The Killing of Craig Robertson- The Sunday Collage

The United States- The World's Biggest Banana Republic