AOL's CEO Tim Armstrong on "How To Be An Asshole" *Updated

Thankfully, I don't have to kiss anyone's backside. I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

This morning I was catching up on things when I saw a news feed of AOL's CEO, Tim Armstrong. Armstrong was on a conference call talking with 1000 employees about "Patch", a troubled news subsidiary of AOL's.

During the conference call, Armstrong fires one of his employees in front of all of the other employees listening in on the call. http://www.inquisitr.com/899911/aol-employee-fired-on-conference-call-apparently-for-doing-his-job-audio/

To say that Armstrong's actions violate every principle of good management is an understatement. The truth is, I detest people like Armstrong. They exercise terrible judgment and get away with it- only because they can. They intimidate people.

What could have Armstrong done differently? Oh, like maybe kept his mouth shut. Talked to the employee like a civil human being after the conference call and most importantly, privately. He might have even allowed the employee an opportunity to give his side of the story and defend himself. Perhaps the employee had a plausible explanation, or perhaps some intermediary form of discipline was available or more appropriate. I hope this employee sues Armstrong particularly if he has been a good employee- and this was done on some angry whim. At the very least, if I were on the Board of Directors of AOL, I'd make damn sure Mr. Armstrong attended our very next board meeting.

To publicly humiliate someone by firing them in front of 1000 other people is almost sociopathic. This is what masquerades as "leadership" in our country. You Tube vid courtesy of Marcus, winner of the 2013 best commenter award on Frankenstein Government.



I am going to post the You Tube vid with Mr. Armstrong acting like a prima donna below. Then I am going to look at AOL and their subsidiaries to make sure that I don't do business with this company or any of it's subsidiaries in any way, shape, or form. I'm going to fire them.

*Update. Guess what- this outfit owns Huffington Post and oddly enough- there is nothing on Huffpo about this incident lest Attila the Hun comes calling. They're just sticking with their tried and true hate righty agenda.

If you speed the vid to the 1:30 mark, you'll get the gist of this without wasting too much time.












Comments

Anonymous said…
Armstrong is an A OL
I work for a nd with a number of CRO in my career. About half of them were good people. The kind of guys you could enjoy sitting down with over a beer. A couple were absolute idiots an a couple were absolute assholes. Before health issues ending my career when I was 54, I had hoped to prove to my blue collar golf buddies in Winnemucca that I could become a CEO without becoming an asshole. Oh well....
Marcus said…
Here's one for you, Tim Armstrong. It's called the asshole song. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85gO8XLb4ug

Brian said…
Checking it out M...
Anonymous said…
AOL is still in business?

Popular posts from this blog

The "Keeping Time" Has Arrived- The Sunday Collage

The Killing of Craig Robertson- The Sunday Collage

The United States- The World's Biggest Banana Republic