I could never understand why the best people in my community hated politics. The answer was simple. Good people do not crave power or recognition. When we finally managed to attract one very decent and selfless individual, a man who became Mayor, he absolutely detested the job.
Only ego maniacs need apply. Thus it seems, politics attracts the worst of us.
More funny quotes.
* If God wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates. ~Jay Leno
* Politicians are people who, when they see light at the end of the tunnel, go out and buy some more tunnel. ~John Quinton
Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign
funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar
I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about
us, I will stop telling the truth about them. ~Adlai Stevenson, campaign
* Don't vote, it only encourages them. ~Author Unknown
* Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato
* Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river. ~Nikita Khrushchev
* When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President; I'm beginning to believe it. ~Clarence Darrow