Hyundai Elantra Snubs Corn Gas

I first saw the re-designed Hyundai Elantra in 2011. I loved the look of the car. In addition to it's great looks, it was allegedly getting 40 MPG which was nearly 4 times what I was getting in my 11 MPG Ford F-250 truck.

Base priced at around 15 grand or so, I set my sights on obtaining an Elantra. Unfortunately, my home town Hyundai dealer also fell in love with the Elantra which made it virtually impossible to get one for less than 19k. So in November and December, I played back and forth with two Hyundai dealers in Salt Lake City until I got what I wanted.

That was a black Hyundai Elantra with a six speed manual transmission, air conditioning, cruise control, and Sirius radio because I travel all over the western U.S. and commute 40 miles a day. I loved the two tone brown interior and got that- rather than the usual gray. Out Ken Garff's door at 15,866.

2012 Hyundai Elantra


The Elantra was supposed to get 40 MPG on the highway. I never obtained that kind of mileage. The best I could do was 35 MPG combined highway and city driving- which was still a helluva lot better than the Ford F250. 

Then out of the blue, a couple months ago, a dealer rep called me. He told me that I would get 40 MPG with no problem (especially since I had the manual trans.) if I switched to straight gas- no ethanol. Days later, I met a guy at the mall driving an Elantra who said he got 43 MPG on the interstate while driving out west. I suspected that kind of mileage was possible especially if someone had stumbled into a gas station serving up real, unadulterated, fossil fuel. So...

I have never been a fan of ethanol. It takes more energy to produce it than it allegedly saves. I have always suspected that corn gas was essentially useless- serving no real purpose other than wasting space in my gas tank. Oddly enough, high fructose corn syrup which is in virtually everything we eat, has the same impact on the human body. It is useless and makes us fat. Like the Elantra, we should snub it also. Finding 100% real gas was kind of difficult at first-but after a few internet searches- I found two fuel dealers in Boise that don't like corn gas either.

On Saturday, I paid one dime a gallon more and bought my first tank of real gas. My mileage immediately shot up to 39 MPG combined city and highway. I am looking forward to using up this entire tank of gas up because it still had two gallons of the corn gas in it when I filled up.

So for an extra dollar, I am going to get an additional 40 or 50 miles per tank. That's a deal that's hard to beat. With the drought this year, it may be that real gas soon becomes cheaper than corn gas anyway. We'll see. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "Keeping Time" Has Arrived- The Sunday Collage

The Killing of Craig Robertson- The Sunday Collage

The United States- The World's Biggest Banana Republic