Do Narcissistic People Gravitate Toward Politics? And If So, What Are the Ramifications and What Is the Remedy?

As a younger man, this is something I simply never thought about. As I got older and became embroiled in small town politics, this became so apparent that it was almost overwhelming. Yet, I still did not understand it until it was too late. I understand it now. Many people do not even understand what a true narcissist is. It's hardly just about beauty. Call it a self absorbed, unconscious superiority complex. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism

I would not consciously think about this or the ramifications of extreme narcissism until my 47th year. I should also tell you that I have some narcissistic traits of my own which I am aware of on a conscious level and which the author of this piece says is quite normal. Unfortunately, it would take 47 years before I could identify and yield to that insanity. This is a good read and very appropriate given the question I have asked. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/scott-barry-kaufman/do-narcissists-know-they-_b_840894.html

On a personal level, I have known about 50-100 politicians, mostly local. These include councilman, county commissioners, sheriffs, and prosecutors. I have known a couple of state politicians as well. I have come to know them well enough to assess whether or not I believe that they truly felt superior intellectually to the people they were governing. The answer is beyond a reasonable doubt. Yes. In fact, I can name 4 of 5 Mayors in Moonbat Valley so narcissistic and without shame that it almost defies description.

Take a look at how narcissists see themselves in the following study. They are selfish and think of themselves as superior. This is not exactly fertile ground from which to negotiate. http://www.news-medical.net/health/Narcissism-Empirical-Studies.aspx

If this is true on a local level, why would it surprise anyone that the state and federal politicians we elect are some of the greatest narcissists our nation has? Stop and think about Bill and Hillary Clinton, George Bush, Barack Obama. Are these people not the epitome of those narcissistic traits given in the study above? Think of Gaddafi or Saddam Hussein on steroids. Think those guys were narcissists?

Ok. So let's suppose that the premise is true. Politics attracts the greatest narcissists in our society. What does that mean?

It means impasse. Quite simply you cannot expect someone who already thinks they are intellectually and morally superior to you and extend legal power to them. You have absolutely no advantage and no means with which to negotiate. You are in an inferior position which of course- we all know we are. When their elective terms are over- they simply hand over the reins to the next narcissist. These people do not negotiate. A narcissists' idea of cooperation is an expectation that you will submit to and do exactly as they ask. That is cooperation. You cooperate with them. That is why Congress does what they do. That is why your President does what he does. And that is precisely why we are powerless over these people we elect. They can be some real pricks.

In the end, narcissists on steroids get executed in countries like Iran, Iraq, Libya. Mussolini, Hitler, Stalin. (Stalin's death has always intrigued me)

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.”

Is there a remedy? How do you convince a narcissist who already thinks he is vastly superior- that he is mentally ill or crazy? Or that their actions are non productive? You don't. Can you convince non narcissistic people to run for office? My experience is no. Non ego driven people are looking for serenity and peace... not power, responsibility, and control. Calm, rational people run away from  spotlights- not toward them. The remedy? I found it. I call it divine intervention for an unconscious moron- universal proof that God loves idiots. But these guys have no motivation to find this. http://realemotionalfreedom.blogspot.com/

Do narcissists write blogs? Guilty your honor... with mitigating circumstances and in deference to all those old cops that said to me, "Just because you know something, doesn't mean you gotta tell anyone." Sometimes, I think you do.

Comments

Anonymous said…
A very interesting piece, Brian. I do think politics has an affinity for narcissist, however, my experience with politicians wasn't as bad as yours. In my case, about 60% of the politicians I have known were narcissist. Although we mostly know politicians thought television or videos, I think narcissism is very hard to hide. I'm curious if you think Ron Paul is a narcissist? I don't think so.
Here is a link to another reference on narcissism that you might find interesting. It's a long three part series so you may want to bookmark it and read it at you leisure.
http://drsanity.blogspot.com/2011/05/political-left-and-seven-deadly-sins-of.html
Brian said…
Did you know all of them personally? I'd go as high as 75%..interestingly enough as you ask this, I wonder what symptoms of narcissism you see that only slides 60%. What differentiates the two?

I have never thought of Paul as a narcissist. He simply does not act superior. He stays on point, never makes excuse, never blames anyone. Hmm..good question. Copied the link. Brian
Anonymous said…
Our Mommy-Dearest Narcissistic Federal Government:

After recently learning that an elderly relative actually has Covert Narcissistic Personality Disorder (CNPD) rather than Alzheimer's, it became obvious to me that the narcissism of petty tyrants in one's own home and the narcissism of our Federal
Government "Beast" are IDENTICAL.

The Federal Government is a merely a 6-year-old brat in "hive-mind" Hydra-headed format.

"Childish leaders oppress my people, and women (Mommy Dearests) rule over them. O my people, your leaders mislead you; they send you down the wrong road." - Isaiah 3:12, New Living Translation (©2007)

Indeed.
Anonymous said…
Our Mommy-Dearest Narcissistic Federal Government:

After recently learning that an elderly relative actually has Covert Narcissistic Personality Disorder (CNPD) rather than Alzheimer's, it became obvious to me that the narcissism of petty tyrants in one's own home and the narcissism of our Federal Government "Beast" are IDENTICAL.

The Federal Government is a merely a 6-year-old brat in "hive-mind" Hydra-headed format.

"Childish leaders oppress my people, and women (Mommy Dearests) rule over them. O my people, your leaders mislead you; they send you down the wrong road." - Isaiah 3:12
New Living Translation (©2007)

Indeed.

Popular posts from this blog

The "Keeping Time" Has Arrived- The Sunday Collage

The Killing of Craig Robertson- The Sunday Collage

The United States- The World's Biggest Banana Republic