I get these "how to fix Congress" emails quite frequently because people know I agree with the position. The problem is- is that compromised legislators don't want want to fix these problems. They like the system just the way it is.
They don't give a fuck about what you want.
Do you know why the tax code is such an abomination? Because it benefits the wealthy and elite. Congressmen. They want it that way. They aren't going to change it. Do you know why we can't get campaign reform...limiting the size of contributions or the contributors? Because Congress wants it just the way it is. This is no longer a government by the people or for the people. Get that idea out of your head.
I am going to go ahead and copy this email and post it. Of course it makes sense and I agree. But I'm not in charge. And the people that are in charge- will just give you the bird. That's why I consider emails like this- strictly fantasy.
12 years only, one of the possible options below:
A. Two Six-year Senate terms
B. Six Two-year House terms
C. One Six-year Senate term and three Two-Year House terms
2. No Tenure / No Pension.
A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when
they are out of office.
3. Congress (past, present & future) participates in . All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system and Congress participates with the rest of the American people.
4. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
5. Congress will no longer vote themselves pay raises. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
6. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the rest of the American people.
7. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
8. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective .
The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen.
Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is
an honor, not a career.
The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and go back to work.
If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will only take three days for most people (in the U.S.) to receive the message. Maybe it is time we take back our country.