For several years now, I have tried to limit my daily intake of left and right wing fanaticism to two blogs. Ace of Spades and Huffington Post. They are polar opposites.
In terms of sheer writing ability, nobody can match Ace. He is simply the best political writer out there and he has a very insightful way of looking at things. Unfortunately, Ace is mired in the same two party rhetoric that has kept our country hostage for the last 50 years. He hasn't figured out yet that it's all one mongrel dog party. Ace is a true conservative who clings to a party that abandoned him at birth. He just doesn't know it yet.
A meandering slice of my Huffpo experience.
I began reading Huffington Post in 2010. I did that primarily to see if those people were any better informed than the dog pound over at Ace's. Perhaps I thought, they might generate something of value to read and they did. Once. I found it in the comments and actually had a conversation with somebody who wasn't hopelessly jaded. He was aware of the idea of corporate welfare or as my friend Billy loves to say...
"Privatizing profits and socializing losses." The new American corporate business model. Pay people chump change because you can- and then stick taxpayers with their SNAP card and Obamacare bills. One typical Walmart store might cost taxpayers nearly a million dollars a year. http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/04/news/companies/walmart-medicaid/index.html
That Adrianna Huffington sold this on line rag for 300 million- is proof positive that any idiot with too much money to spend- is still an idiot.
Here then is the list.
10. Huffington Post publishes a great deal of gossip and fluff. Anything that is narcissistic, superficial, and materialistic might very well find it's way onto Huffington Post's front page. That's their bread and butter.
09. Adriana Huffington. I can't stand her elite, smug attitude. I always loved to find things that she had written and point out the obvious flaws. Of course, my comments were never published.
08. The commenters on Huffpo are some of the most ego centered and righteous people I have ever read or tried to carry on a flame war with. Many think quite highly of themselves. Often they write in a belittling way as though they have captured the meaning of things you haven't yet noticed.
07. It is impossible to have a constructive conversation on Huffpost. The readers just make up shit and post it. Very often, daily in fact, I would ask for proof for some of their more outlandish statements. That would shut them up 90% of the time. The other 10% of the posters would start some childish "fuck you match" wherein any chance of exchanging constructive information was lost.
06. Badges. Who gives out little badges? Huffpost does. Some of the more prolific commenters have all kinds of these silly badges. It reminds me of those nerdy little girls when I was a child- girls who used to sit in the front row of class- thrusting their arms in the air anytime the teacher asked a question. It happened. It still happens on Huffpo.
05. All things must lean left. Huffpo readers cannot have an original, independent thought. They can't carry on a conversation unless it's pro abortion, pro atheism, anti-gun, or some other democratic party tenet- real or imagined. The criminal activity of the democratic leadership never gets mentioned.
04. Huffpo readers hate Republicans. These folks are professional haters and what's more- they REALLY think the GOP is the problem. That level of unconsciousness is awe inspiring.
03. Huffpo readers love Obama and they make more excuses for him than any man living or dead. Let's face it, if Obama were white, he'd be impeached by now. This worthless bastard gets a free pass because he is black. If he were judged on performance as an employee, most of us would fire him.
02. Censorship. Huffpo employs "moderators." These are people without lives who sit around their grandmother's basement and delete any comments they don't like. Hijacking and controlling the conversation is a typical Alinsky style tactic. They must delete thousands of perfectly good comments every day.
01. Fanaticism. If there was ever a statement that summed up the general thought process of a typical Huffpo reader it would be this one according to Winston Churchill, "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject". By either description the fanatic displays very strict standards and little tolerance for contrary ideas or opinions.
There are so many worthwhile things you could be reading rather than Huffpo- like the ingredients on your shampoo bottle. Even the employees hate the place. http://tktk.gawker.com/hell-is-working-at-the-huffington-post-1707724052?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_twitter&utm_source=gawker_twitter&utm_medium=so