How To Build Your Own Lynch Mob- The Sunday Collage

Thanks to all of you who said nice things to me about the Wounded Knee blog. That by the way, was a once a year deal. I am just not that consistently bright. If you are hoping to find something as equally good today- you are shit out of luck.

Ok, so my mom reads this. Other than my sister and younger brother, there aren't many children that my mother is proud of. Mom has three kids. So I had to clean up the original title of this piece- fragments of which can be found in the next few sentences.

Back in my policing days, I had a fellow law enforcer who had a poster of a gorgeous blond hanging in his locker. At the bottom of that poster the caption read, "Somewhere, some guy, is sick of her shit."

The point being that despite her good looks, she was a pain in the ass. And replaceable. I think we all know somebody like that.

Now I'm going to move from replaceable women to all sorts of things with the blinding speed of an old A.D.D. patient swilling coffee and wearing tinfoil. Please try to keep up if you are new here.

In college, I had this professor named Ralph Maughan. I always viewed him as sort of a hippie. He taught Political Science in jeans and tennis shoes. He was a heap big environmentalist and still is. I think I was already pre-disposed to protecting the environment having been raised in Butte and exposed to the worst man made environmental disaster in the lower 48. In Butte, you can see first hand how greedy corporate interests can quite literally destroy the planet and walk away. I actually cringe a little bit while watching gold mining shows on television to this day- as miners rip up some pristine mountain top- looking for gold.

At any rate, Ralph Maughan is an ultra environmentalist and I think- he was once a past president of the Sierra Club. I also believe he had quite a bit to do with the re-introduction of wolves. I had lost contact with him over the years until this week. Ralph, you see, has a blog of his own called the Wildlife News. At the Wildlife News, the writers and the readers are pro anything that has to do with protecting the environment. Mostly I'm ok with that- up until such point that the envirocons tell me I have to pay for their really lame ideas.

Environmentalists and common sense part ways when they want to do some ridiculous thing like introduce a hated predator that we have since replaced in the food chain. People hate wolves, generally speaking- and they will kill them. I on the other hand, love wolves. In fact, a lot of my college research and writing projects were centered on wolves because at one point in my life I was absolutely obsessed with them. That's why I was against wolf re-introduction. I did not want to see wolves get killed because if I understand one animal better than wolves- it is human beings.

So the environmentalists and wildlife people have won a little battle but will lose the war- because as the population expands- they will once again remove top of the food chain predators like grizzlies and wolves. Today's victory in the annals of time- will be tomorrow's loss. 

We all assume that environmentalists walk with a left lean and mostly I think- that's true. They tend to be Federal Government supporting statists because the only way an environmentalist can advance their agenda- is to get laws passed by one, supreme, umbrella government which supports their agenda and which also tends to diminish opposing agendas. It would be too difficult to get individual states to agree to some sweeping proposal like wolf reintroduction. Think rancher dominated legislatures like Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho. They would have never signed off on wolf re-introduction and the environmentalists knew that. So that is where the culture clashes. Environmentalists v ranching interests.

Do not get these passions confused with politics. These are too opposing forces. One believes in stewarding the environment and wildlife and one believes in his God given right to make a living and to protect his assets. Politics unfortunately, is how we decide who wins and who loses. 

Freedom thrives where laws are scarce. Every time you pass a law- freedom suffers. Laws restrict human behavior. I'm for moderation when creating new laws. I've always been against creating unenforceable or silly laws- that is the libertarian in me.

Which brings me to Cliven Bundy and his trespassing cows.

During the week, I found myself on Wildlife News reading all of the predictable comments and threads with regard to Cliven Bundy and his stand off with the Federal Government. The folks at Wildlife News call Cliven a welfare rancher, a criminal, and a right wing nut job. 

Why? Because they have a one way lens on their telescope. They only see life one way. Their way. And they don't give two shits about any other way- because they believe they are the keepers of the moral high ground. They will argue and delete you. The law they think- is always on their side. The law, history shows us, has always been on the side of overthrown governments just before they get overthrown. It is not such a stretch to understand that a crooked and over reaching government will pass laws to try and protect itself.

I'm not going to link the Wildlife News here. Honestly, there's just too much politics embedded in that site and I don't want the track back here. 

Do I think people should be allowed to damage publicly owned land? No. But the evolution of the United States encouraged homesteading, farming, and ranching. That's been our history which occurred long before I landed on this rock. So maybe we've passed that moment in time where we no longer want people to use or cultivate wild or public lands. Are there solutions and remedies? Of course. The Federal Government could return lands to the individual states. People like Bundy could be grandfathered in and eventually their rights to graze could slowly sunset or phase out. Maybe this government, which has no problem allowing bankers to commit fraud while extorting giant billion dollar fines- could negotiate some form of settlement with Bundy. This is all more constructive and above board than using some pretense that cows destroy tortoise habitat. 

I have to tell you this. I enjoyed seeing a bunch of right wing nut jobs with guns back down the Federal Government and the left wing nut jobs. And I'll tell you why..

It's not because I'm some anarchist (well, maybe a little) but I have grown weary of the Federal Government and their shit. I am sick of hearing about non existent economic recoveries, about Bureau of Labor Statistics figures that are nothing but propaganda and lies. I am sick of a government which refuses to enforce the rule of law on fraud committing bankers, a government which has stolen trillions from our treasury, and continues to cover up every scandal from Fast and Furious, Benghazi, and IRS. I am sick of being told to obey the law while the Treasury won't even allow an audit of the FED or of the gold allegedly contained in Fort Knox. I am sick of QE programs, the worst Congress and President ever, and the erosion of our human and civil rights.

Did you see those ridiculous little "First Amendment" pens the government set up near Bundy's ranch? Protest here- where nobody can see you. Laughable.

The problem with most people picking sides in the Bundy battle is that while they debated the nuances and issues of who was right and who was wrong- they forgot to look at the big picture. The big picture is the one where millions of people are getting sick of a government that thinks it can bully whoever it chooses without reprisal.

It doesn't matter whether Bundy was right or not. Whether he paid his fees or his cows walked on the backs of tortoises. Our government is like a bully that has done so many wrongs- that even when it manages to do one thing right- nobody cares anymore. That's the moment we are in right now.

That's why thousands of people flocked down to Nevada. They weren't fighting Bundy's war. They were fighting their own war against an oppressive government that continues to steal and erode their freedoms. That mob is growing. People might just be getting sick of this government's shit and the BLM may have figured that out this week.

You want to die over cows and tortoises? I guess not. If the government is good at anything right now- it is getting very good at disenfranchising millions of us. It would have been interesting to see what they would have done after the fall elections.

Happy Easter everyone!






 












Comments

Marcus said…
A man can break his life and live the law, or he can break the law and live his life. Me, I choose the latter, but with the understanding that the laws being broken are stupid ones.

"Nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced." (Albert Einstein)

"I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." (Robert A. Heinlein)

Brian said…
Marcus- you are the best!
Yep, wolves, elk, grass, pebbles, grains of sand, drops of water and human blood. Not much has changed since someone wrote Genesis.

Popular posts from this blog

The "Keeping Time" Has Arrived- The Sunday Collage

The Killing of Craig Robertson- The Sunday Collage

The United States- The World's Biggest Banana Republic