Django Movie Review

Wow.

Have you ever paid 10 bucks to see a movie and been forced to watch advertisements, commercials, and coming attractions for 40 minutes?

Forty minutes. That's how long we were taken hostage at the Edwards Cinema in Boise before Django started. I was pissed. Just as the movie started my little sister started whooping and hollering in a moment of anarchy. I was very proud of her. I chimed in as well. Some others joined us.

I like Quentin Tarantino movies. I still  think Pulp Fiction was his best movie but Django isn't too bad. I loved the first couple of scenes in this movie. In fact, I liked most of the movie. It was the last 20 minutes of Django I am still trying to sort out.

I don't mind bloody violence. I don't mind the casual way this movie deals with killing people... mostly because the people who die are the types of people we secretly want to kill. But the last few scenes in this movie were a little too much in the sense that I am not sure they were really necessary.

So all six of us liked the movie. My brother thought it was outstanding because he likes lots of violence.

The humor in the movie is also very good. In fact it was appropriate to the scenes and very funny. There is one scene where an armed posse with KKK style white hoods on- gets in an argument over the usefulness of the hoods they are wearing. Without ruining it with specifics- I thought that scene was very funny.

Special effects are top notch except some of the "blowing up scenes" which seemed a little cheap and not all that realistic. There is no sex and just a brief hint of nudity.

There is heavy use of the "N" word and racism. It seemed appropriate to the setting so I think this movie can get away with it.

Tarantino squeezed his usual cameo appearance in- near the end of the movie. He is a far better director than an actor. Tarantino used some sort of contrived Australian accent which seemed odd and inappropriate, but maybe I missed something.

All in all this is a very good movie that has an interesting premise and setting. There is enough humor and Tarantino gimmickry in it to remind you that it is just a movie. I like that. I am going to give Django an 8.5 on the 1-10 scale... and it would not take a debate team to get me to a 9.

It was worth the 10 bucks sans the 40 minutes of hostage taking on the front end. I'd love to hear your thoughts on Django if you've seen it already...





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "Keeping Time" Has Arrived- The Sunday Collage

The Killing of Craig Robertson- The Sunday Collage

The United States- The World's Biggest Banana Republic