Wednesday, July 13, 2016

My Last Day in Boise

Some things, perhaps all things, must run their course.

Seven years ago, this month in fact, I moved to Boise. I found a nice condo near Vista and Overland. Two years later I bought my bungalow on the bench.

Boise is a nice town. There is a tug of war here.  A lot of liberal California attitudes in the north and the east side of town. The rest it seems, lean conservative. I used to see Ron Paul bumper stickers up here on the Bench so I must have been in the right part of town.

Idaho legalized your right to carry concealed guns this year. This was always your right although most states think their laws trump the Constitution. So now, we can carry guns concealed without a note from our parents. For violent criminals- this might not be the best place to practice your trade.

Idaho did away with live horse racing a few months ago. While undoubtedly saving me a considerable amount of money- horse racing was one of the big reasons I moved to Boise. Last year during the live race meet, I had one losing day out of 15. It was like handing out free money. I found the races, the trainers, and one excellent female jockey to be quite predictable. It was a very good year. In nine months, racing was gone.

So today I sit among the spartan ruins of my home, doing last minute fixes and cleaning before the new owners arrive. The bungalows sits on a large corner lot with mature landscaping and gobs of parking. It was the lot that attracted me here 5 years ago. Tomorrow, we close the deal and I will be officially homeless. My new home in Twin Falls will be occupied until the first week of August. Oddly, that home has mature landscaping and gobs of parking.

So I am in the process of figuring out what to do and where to go for the next three weeks.

I have never been to Del Mar during the live race meet. The Del Mar meeting starts Friday. Maybe I'll just throw a bunch of clothes in the car and head to San Diego. Maybe if I get to Del Mar, I'll post up some pictures. Take the surf train up the coast- best kept secret in America. I don't know what I'm gonna do yet but I have 3 weeks to sort it out.

Brian




4 comments:

Irish said...

Good luck!

OT but here's one guy you might have compassion for:


http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/529617/Uber-driver-rant-video-passenger-get-out-of-my-car-YouTube

Brian said...

I would have charged her with a trespass or just pulled her out. Not sure I got that much yelling in me.

Zardoz The Magnificent said...

I know the feeling-enjoy. It's been many moons since I had it.
MM

Troy Ellis said...

sorry to see you go .. but glad you are moving closer ,, it will be easyer to come see you now
.. stay warm my brother